Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Aamchi Mumbai


So am back again with my bags & baggage.Back to the city which never sleeps.Each time i have come here i have had a different feel to it, a very different experience. Its kind of bizaare to know that the life of a common Bombayite ( yes Mr Thakery I continute to call it Bombay )is so tough yet their attitude towards life is so relaxed. When i ask local people here they tell me ,people here are already so stressed ( Long travelling hours, hectic work life , blah blah ) that they dont have any time left to brood or crib ,they just wanna have fun. The definition of Fun varies from the dictionaray of a Delhiites ( I hate to call myself a Delhiite but that's how people address me here , The Delhi - Bombay diffence still persists ).For a Delhiite Fun means going out to a fancy DLF Mall , spending a bomb on a First day movie show , or going to a fine dine restaurant and talking about it the next day in your office...to catch up with the joneses..the wannabe's and so called " arrived " dude's & babes...(Disclaimer - I was just born in Delhi and i am not a Delhiite ).But Fun here has a twisted meaning , I see people ( read couples ) sitting on the sea face and just talking , smiling , laughing. A group of young boys and girls giggling , an elderly couple taking a stroll...that'z their way of unwinding a hectic and stresfull day yet it is fun for them and i know when they say its fun... it trully is fun sans any pretence. I have seen couples getting soaked in the rains, i have seen couples eating kulfi in the rains. Oh what fun!! is what i said to myself and that made me realize ..these guys are different. Their life is not as convenient , their houses are not 1900 sq feet , they dont live in plush DLF condos , they might not have memberships to some pompous clubs, they might not afford to wear Satya pauls, they dont drive the most fancy cars, their house might just have one TV but the happy part is they still watch it together. A husband ,wife and kids and sometimes their elders stay with them. Sophitication is a far flung word for them, they talk in hindi with a Mumbai accent " bole to ekdum jhakkas "..but they seem to be living with an attitude , an attitue to never give up and to continue this struggle for survival and whenever they get some time..they just want to break free.

Here i am completely disillusioned as i hate to call myself a Delhiite and i am still not a Bombayite..again i am in transition and i really pray and hope this transition turns out to be life changing for me. I have no qualms shedding my opinioated opinions about life in general but i am sure the road ahead is long and interesting.

I am slowly picking up, the other day i realized i hve started saying idhar se lene ka, mudne ka, turn marne ka and all of that and i laughed...and to top it all i told my maid " tum ko parvarta hai to bolne ka ", gosh was it me ? I kept giggling thinking about it.Man its funny but its nice.

So i end by saying " Kasakai Mumbai "

2 comments:

  1. Hi Manu,

    It is interesting to hear your take on Bombay. To me Bombay is independence. This place embraces all. A girl can live alone whichever way she likes. I hate the intrusiveness of North Indian culture (I am a UPite by birth) but I am and will always be a Bombayite and Bombayites hate the Punju, flashy, intrusive, show off culture of Delhi :). But you have the brand of ultra rich, designer-wear wearing breed too which lives in affluent suburbs and mostly in South Mumbai. I grew up in South Mumbai and the money flashed there is mind boggling. It would be fun to share our experiences about bombay some day. It is Bombay for me because I always knew it as that :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree with you.I feel so safe while traveling , while in the market place even at late hours.How i wish Bombayiites can stop hating Delhiites.:) all are not flashy punju's.Life is not easy here but i love the attitude of the city.Wish could afford a home sometime near the sea face :)

    ReplyDelete